Author Topic: Glow ENginnes Converted to Gas  (Read 2418 times)

fmeyerrc

• View Profile
Glow ENginnes Converted to Gas
« on: April 18, 2014, 04:15:50 pm »
Just purchased a Ch Ignition conversion kit for larger Saito engines.   I will be converting a Saito 1.80 Golden Knight to run on Gasoline.  CH suggests the rpm will be lower but 500-1000 rpm so it will be interesting to see how this converted engine performs.  I have solicited Ron Czikowsky to be sure we have 2 sets of eyes and hands performing the conversion.  It does appear simple & the only real issue is getting the timing correct.  Another interesting comment suggested by CH is converting a glow engine to CDI will result in a more reliable lower RPM, usually results a in a gain of a couple of hundred RPM at the top end,with a fuel economy increase of up to 25%.

mpd

• View Profile
Re: Glow ENginnes Converted to Gas
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 03:55:26 pm »
Well Fred,
Now that you have had a chance to run the engine on a stand, give us a small report, please.   :P

fmeyerrc

• View Profile
Re: Glow ENginnes Converted to Gas
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 05:58:49 pm »
We have run the Engine and did run into a problem with the Exhaust Valve sticking.  We think that is because, although new, the engine has been sitting for several years & I used the wrong oil in the gas mix.  Ron Czikowsky took care of the problem and we ran another 550cc of 20/1 gas through it using Redline Oil this time, and it ran very well.  When broken in we expect an idle of about 1500 rpm with a heavier prop and probably close to 8k top end with an 18 x 6 prop.  Currently with a 17 x 6 light wood prop 20/1 mix with low test gas, idle about 2K top about 7.6K.  Now, what to mount it it in, maybe a Giant Scale Planes Fiberglass Hellcat?