Author Topic: Discus Launch Gliders "Intro Class"  (Read 5994 times)

Kyle Swaidner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Discus Launch Gliders "Intro Class"
« on: April 17, 2014, 05:25:40 pm »
Over the winter several club members have expressed interest in getting into Discus Launch Gliders (DLG) and also the more simplistic sidearm launch gliders.  I know a few of you have purchased and assembled kits while waiting for spring to arrive as well.  The weather has finally improved to the point where we can go out and enjoy ourselves, so I would like to set up a few intro classes to begin getting everyone up to speed.  I have never really taught anybody how to use a DLG and have only been doing it a couple of years myself so it will be a learning process for me as well.  The way I see the class going is that we will start with model setup and ensuring that the plane has been properly trimmed and balanced, then we will proceed to working on the launching motion and proper technique, finishing up with some discussion of reading the model in the air and effectively using what lift is available.

Because learning how to properly launch these models in wind is difficult and greatly increases the potential of damaging the airframe I would like to run the lessons in the early morning hours (8:00 or earlier).  Evening times could also work although the wind speed is not as reliably low.  Please post here if you would like to join in on a class and we can work on setting up a date and time for it.  I can run as many sessions as needed.

For anybody who is interested but does not already have a glider, here are my suggestions for models to check out:

In my opinion the best DLG for learning is the Mountain Models DL-50 (http://www.mountainmodels.com/product_info.php?products_id=212).  It is only $90, 2-channel control, builds easily, flies great, and is designed to be robust for mishaps that inevitably happen during the learning process.  Once you master the DL-50 you will have the confidence to go swing around a $500 molded composite model without worrying about destroying it.

Another option that I have heard good things about is the Dream Flight Libelle (http://dream-flight.com/products/libelle-dlg) although it is more of a slope flyer than a thermal glider.  Mine is on order right now so I have no firsthand experience with it, but I have owned other models from this company that were great.  This is a quicker and easier build than the DL-50 and has full 4 channel control (flaperons, elevator, rudder).

If anybody is interested in trying this out but does not own or want to invest the money in a nice plane, I would recommend building a KFerret from plans (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=774439).  All it takes it some fan fold foam or depron, a couple of skewers, and 2 HS55 equivalent or smaller servos.  I have built a few of these in the past and they are surprisingly effective and fun.

Call Me Al

• View Profile
Re: Discus Launch Gliders "Intro Class"
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 04:37:22 pm »
Kyle,
I just got a Libelle from Quantum Hobby, I went with his suggestion of a 2 cell 550 mah Lipo pack and a ZTW 3 amp bec. I picked up the new type servos from Dream flight. He indicated that you had gone the lipo/bec route & I was wondering, if I could  see your layout or a picture of it?

Allen Sharog